Saturday, April 18, 2009

Vision - Regard, Relationship - a Video Postcard for Howard

I am going to give a talk at commencement so I've been toying with subject. My French is popping up here - regarder - to look. As I was walking around Geneva today - I kept thinking that I was finally developing a relationship with this city. Rather than simply regarding it - passively, cooly looking at it, I felt myself investing in it and becoming almost impossibly in love with it. Call it Spring Fever - but something shifted with the lushness, the people all out, talking, engaging, connected. How shall we engage what we do as conflict transformers??? (remember, I am NOT a peacebuilder) Shall we regard? Or develop a relationship??? Either way, I think we should be intentional about how we engage.

The video doesn't add much - but the light was really beautiful... so here it is :)

2 comments:

Mr.PorteƱo said...

building a relationship with Ginebra? Yesterday you had no relationship, you thought it was zzzzz. What happened???
In my experience it takes about 2 months to become "autistic" in a new place, when you stop asking for it to deliver, when you introspect your soul, and when you start to observe, to accept and to share yourself. Maybe you reached that point last night! Alheluya!
(yeap, gorgeous light and background!)

Paulette Moore said...

The weather definitely had something to do with it - and the city is lush and green and inviting. But the weather brought out people - they were engaging with each other everywhere - lying in the sun, talking, enjoying the open spaces of the city and I was completely drawn into that. It turned me right around and I realized I've been cooly regarding the city this whole time. The relationship part is very different. It is going to take more of my time, my attention - I haven't been willing to give that over so far... maybe because I love the Shenandoah Valley so much. I dunno. :)